[This article describes the new version of the app. The screenshots are from the old version. With the new version, you should see Minut(s) instead of Point(s).]
What is Alexa?
Alexa is a virtual assistant developed by Amazon. This device enables the user to use voice interaction, voice commands. It is a home-automation system that can be used to control other smart devices, such as the Minut Smart Home Sensor.
Minut and Alexa
You can now use Alexa to arm and disarm the alarm using your voice.
This integration is currently only available in English (US) and you must have an account on alexa.amazon.com. (more info below about why)
Example phrases: “Alexa, arm 250 Fell Street in away mode”, “Alexa, disarm 250 Fell Street”.
How do I connect Minut to Alexa?
To connect your Minut with Alexa, use the Alexa app or website alexa.amazon.com and follow these steps:
- Choose Skills & Games (only Skills on website) in the upper left menu, and search for “Minut” in the search box. Click on the Minut Smart Home Alarm.
2. Click on the button Enable To Use. (Enable on the website, in the right corner.)
3. They now ask you to log in to you Minut-account. Fill in your credentials and click Continue.
(When doing this on the website a new tab will open where they ask you to log in to you Minut-account. Make sure that your web browser settings allow pop-up window).
4. Accept to connect an application.
5. Select which home you want to connect to Alexa and choose a four digit pin code in the bar under. Click Ok.
6. You’ve successfully connected your Minut to your Alexa!
7. When you have closed the window showed above. You'll get redirected to the Alexa app. The app will discover your Minut as a security system. Click Set up Device.
8. Click on Next to enable to disarm your security system using voice commands.
9. The next, and last step, is to choose Existing security system PINs. After this, click Next.
10. You can now use Alexa to arm and disarm your Minut!
Why only English (US)?
For the Alexa Skill, Minut implements something called security panel. Amazon currently only provides support in English (US) for security panel integrations. Since we released the integration, Amazon has added support for English (CA), English (IN) and English (AU). However, we haven't made the required changes on our side yet to support these additional languages. We hope, and have tried to push Amazon, to get English (GB) going, but they're a giant and we only have so much say in their processes.